Star England opener Jason Roy has been slapped with a two-match ban for which he is eligible for selection and has also been asked to pay a fine of GBP 2,500 by March 31.
Moreover, the suspension is levied for 12 months dependent on good behaviour. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has not revealed the reasons behind sanctioning the cricketer.
However, the statement revealed that Roy “has admitted a charge of conducting himself in a manner which may be prejudicial to the interests of cricket or which may bring the game of cricket, the ECB and himself into disrepute, in breach of ECB Directive 3.3.”
“Following a full disciplinary hearing at which all available evidence was heard, the Disciplinary Panel ruled that Mr. Roy should: (i) be suspended from the next two England matches for which he is eligible for selection, but that such suspension be suspended for 12 months dependent on good behaviour; and (ii) pay a fine of GBP 2,500 by March 31 2022,” said the statement.
Jason Roy’s last appearance for England came in the T20I series against West Indies in January. The veteran opener also participated in the Pakistan Super League, plying trade for Quetta Gladiators.
Jason Roy pulls out of IPL 2022
The 28-year-old Jason Roy has pulled himself out of the 15th edition of the tournament citing the challenge of staying in the tournament bubble for an extended period. He was acquired for his base price of INR 2 crore at the auction last month.
“With everything going on in the world over the last 3 years, it’s added up and taken a toll on me,” Roy said as part of a longer message on Instagram. “I feel it’s only right I spend some quality time with my family. As well as spending time working on myself and my game over the next couple of months leading in to a busy year,” Roy said in a statement.
View this post on Instagram
Gujarat Titans roped in Afghanistan Rahmanullah Gurbaz as Roy’s replacement for IPL 2022. The cricketer has already joined the training and is keen to make a mark at the biggest T20 extravaganza.